Re: More Widespread Adoption of Enchant ...

From: Urmas <davian818_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Sep 23 2011 - 07:17:10 CEST

From: "Kevin Atkinson" <kevina@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: More Widespread Adoption of Enchant ...

> [1] Yes I really mean to use the word shoved. Aspell was slowly on its
> way to becoming the system spell checker than Hunspell---out of seaming
> no where---suddenly started to take over. I have a very good idea
> why this is and the whole situation leaves me rather bitter. If anyone
> really wants to here why I will be happy to elaborate, but such a tail
> is bound to have a some bias in it.

Well, a person who introduces affix compression in version 0.6 of his library, throwing out compounds support in process, uses hard-coded paths, writes the code which has a problem with compilers other than GCC and does not update Windows version of his library for 9 (nine) years, giving some sad unsatisfactory excuses... wonders why his library is shadowed with more functional, clean and portable one. Don't you think yourself, honestly, that's rather ridiculous?

Obviously the need of Free People (1%) total is more important than normal people (90%), who use normal operating systems? Who are they to have affix compression or Unicode support? But it's clearly some conspirology is at work here, no doubt!