enchant doesnt allow Portuguese dictionary

From: Zé <mmodem00_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Apr 30 2012 - 04:01:59 CEST

Hi,

In Portuguese we have some variants, and to avoid that, in 1990 there
was an agreement between Portugal and Brasil so that could exist some
unification regarding some rules, since brasil had decided some time
ago that the non spoken consonants could be removed from writing, so
for example with word:
"projecto" started being written as "projeto"

since the "c" is a letter not spoken.

So due to this in Portugal currently exist 2 dictionaries, the regular
that complies the orthographic agreement from 1990 and the dictionary
that already existed before, currently we can write both ways
regarding non spoken consonants.

Regarding this the Portuguese University of Letters decided to keep
both dictionaries so we have aspell-pt and aspell-pt-preao ->
http://natura.di.uminho.pt/download/sources/Dictionaries/aspell6

Now both KDE and GNOME use enchant and enchant isnt letting that both
dictionaries can be listed, when having both installed it only
appears:

Português (Portugal)

not allowing any reference to the pt-preao dictionary.

Even if having just the package aspell-pt-preao installed it doesnt
refer thats a pt-preao dictionary, but the dictionary still works.

If having also package aspell-pt_BR that in the configuration KDE and
GNOME dialogs its listed as:

Português (Brasil)

For what i can see enchant allows pt_PT and pt_BR but does NOT allow pt_PT-preao
Dont understand why enchant allows xx_XX and does NOT allow xx_XX-foo,
is there some rule not allowing a country to have more than one dictionary?

To do some tests i have created a symlink so that the files
/usr/lib/aspell/*pt_PT-preao* could point to
/usr/lib/aspell/*pt_PREAO*

and this seams to resolve some problems, since now the dictionary
pt-preao is both listed in KDE and GNOME and it works.

Of course this is not a correct name, since for what aspell says the
name should follow *lang_VARIANT-dicversion* and when i run aspell it
lists both PT dictionaries:

~]# aspell dicts
pt_PT
pt_PT-preao

but encant IS NOT COMPLIANT with aspell, thus not allowing the a
country can have more than one dictionary, and since both KDE and
GNOME use enchant this is a MAJOR problem.

Can this be reviewed so that aspell and enchant can be compliant?

--
Salutem,
Zé