Re: GSoC Idea ->

From: Kathiravelu Pradeeban <kk.pradeeban_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Mar 23 2012 - 22:38:15 CET

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 2:20 AM, Sunny Guha <eosaten@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sir,
>
> My name is Sunny Guha and I am pursuing MSc Physics (2nd year) in BITS
> Pilani Goa Campus. Sir I am applying for GSoC and I wanted to propose
> an idea for Abiword.

Welcome to AbiWord.

> Abiword's mainpage describes it as "AbiWord is a free word processing
> program similar to Microsoft® Word."
> Microsoft has gone through a UI revolution and has adopted a ribbon
> interface and Metro from Windows 8. After using it everyone found it
> to be easier than the menu interface, so it turned out to be a good
> thing.
>
> Abiword is still uses to menu style UI which gives it a pre-2005 feel
> and makes it look dated. Gnome has come up with Gnome shell which
> opened new dimensions of UI. My idea is to revamp Abiword's UI to
> Riboon style or some other style.

I agree that we should incorporate the latest UI improvements for the
Windows port. However, personally I do not think the ribbon style is
good, and there is no need to mimic what some other word processor
does.

Can you come up with more specific details on this - regarding the
technological aspects and the look and feel?
How are you going to achieve what you propose? which technologies are
you planning to use? which operating systems are you focusing? Any new
libraries/dependencies to be introduced/used?

For instance, having an entirely different look and feel (like ribbon
interface) for Windows from the other operating systems may not be a
good idea.

> Sir, is it an idea which Abiword would like to pursue ?
> Will you mentor this (if it is worth) or guide me to someone who is willing ?

Pls note we have listed a few ideas [1] those have mentors assigned to
them. Proposing your own idea will have its own challenges (and of
course, advantages), that it should convince the mentors that it is a
project that is worth for the summer.

[1] http://www.abisource.com/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2012#Projects_with_an_interested_mentor

Thank you.
Regards,