Re: AbWord L10n update

From: Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Nov 12 2012 - 20:34:43 CET

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Besnik Bleta <besnik@programeshqip.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Më 08/10/2012 07:48 AM, Chris Leonard shkrojti:
>>

>> A couple of points on L10n.
>>
>> 1) There has been a little more string churn, so please check your
>> languages again for additional strings. Chances are there are some
>> fuzzy strings that have to do with punctuation and stuff, they should
>> be quick to resolve and submit.
>>
>> http://translate.sugarlabs.org/projects/AbiWord/
>>
>> 2) As Prashant announced:

>> We'll be switching from plain vanilla NSIS to Unicode NSIS
>>
>> http://www.scratchpaper.com/
>>
>> The good news:
>>
>> This will allow us to support a full range of languages and their
>> scripts in localizing our Windows installer via the NSH files posted
>> in the AbiWord project on Pootle (Windows_Installer_.nsh_strings.po).
>>
>> The eventually good news:
>> Just to be clear about how this works, AbiWord's NSH file is used by
>> Unicode NSIS, which has it's own strings that need to be localized.
>> If your language name appears in the list down below, the Unicode NSIS
>> upstream is already localized, if it does not, the upstream strings
>> will need to be localized and submitted upstream so that Unicode NSIS
>> can support your language. That is why I call this the "eventually
>> good news".
>>
>> If your language is set up in our Pootle instance, but is not listed
>> as being localized upstream, I will be setting up some PO files for
>> you to complete so we can submit them upstream, this will obviously
>> take some time to trickle back downstream into AbiWord, but it will
>> also make it possible for others to create localized Window's
>> installers for the other packages that use Unicode NSIS.
>>
>> Uncode NSIS is used by other projects for their Windows installer:
>>
>> http://www.scratchpaper.com/home/shameless-promotion
>>
>> That's a bunch of Mozilla stuff, Open Office, etc., we might want to
>> have them add AbiWord to that list.
>>
>> The Unicode NSIS people have a forum to post translations and we'll
>> see if they accept the PO files as-is or if they'll require having
>> them formated into their .nlr and .nsh formats. If so, I may ask for
>> some help with that.
>

> What about updating an existing translation? Where should they be
> sent/submitted?
>
> cheers
> Besnik

The link below is a forum where Unicode NSIS project accepts
submissions (one of several methods for submitting) . They are not
expecting them in PO format, they probably want them in NSH or NLR

>> http://forums.winamp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=159
>>
>> cjl

The local AbiWord Windows installer NSH was reformated from the
completed PO file (by me) and committed on Oct 23rd r32237 (by
Prashant Bafna), but I assume from the context your question is mostly
about thupstream Unicode NSIS files.

It looks like they last update Albanian in 2.46.5 posted May 10, 2012

Per this message:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=007001c4d472%24e258fee0%240200a8c0%40yacko&forum_name=nsis-translate

If you have noticed errors in the NSIS NLF or NSH files that you'd
like to correct, download the files from:

http://code.google.com/p/unsis/source/checkout

Specifically

http://code.google.com/p/unsis/source/browse/Contrib/Language%20files/Unicode/Albanian.nlf

and

http://code.google.com/p/unsis/source/browse/Contrib/Language%20files/Unicode/Albanian.nsh

make corrections and and then either

A) post to http://forums.winamp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=159

B) alternatively post as a bug here:

C) or e-mail to

joostverburg@scratchpaper.com
kichik@scratchpaper.com

I apologize that I have not gotten around to improving documentation
about upstream L10n related to AbiWord, but thingsg have been really
busy. I have stayed on top of getting any new AbiWord files
submitted, including the Windows installer NSH.

cjl