Re: AbiWord L10n status

From: Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Oct 18 2012 - 17:14:37 CEST

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Svante Signell
<svante.signell@telia.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-10-18 at 10:55 -0400, Chris Leonard wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Svante Signell
>> <svante.signell@telia.com> wrote:

>> > How to change a given entry?
>> >

> Your reply was empty. I found some words translated with the & sign in
> the middle of the text, like &Footer -> Sid&foot instead of &Sidfot.
> Should these be changed too?

I would not change those strings.

& is an accelerator (offering a keyboard shortcut to a menu item). In
the example you cite, it is not important that the & is at the
beginning, it is more helpful (for cross language familiarity) that
the F character remains the shortcut (in both langs).

&Footer
Sid&fot

both use alt-f or maybe ctrl-f as their shortcut combo, in general
this is good as many people can become conditioned to expect certain
shortcut combinations. Changing them as little as feasible is nice.

Accelerators can be tricky, depending on the menu item it occurs in,
certain letters might be used already for another shortcut, so you
want to look closely at the menu item before changing the & to appear
in front of some other letter.

It is hard to capture this menu-specific context in a PO file, you
really need t olook at the application in parallel and then look at
the characters used as acceelerators t oselect a unique one for each.

cjl