Re: [GSoC Mentors Announce] Now Accepting Applications for Mentoring Organizations for GSoC 2013

From: Jean Bréfort <jean.brefort_at_normalesup.org>
Date: Sun Mar 24 2013 - 18:19:52 CET

Hi all,

I might propose a little project, but might be too easy for a GSOC
project: optionally replace gmathview by lasem (--with-lasem or so).
Optionally, because we need at least one feature which only exists in
the latest development branch so it can' be the default until lasem-0.6
is out, and also because some people might prefer the gmathview output.

What lasem would bring:

* use the current font, and as it uses pango, use font replacement when
a character is missing (this works much better than with gmathview which
does not replace missing characters but prints a red square instead).
Some people might prefer the fonts used by gmathview though.

* it is maintained while gmathview seems orphan since 2008 or so.

* itex2mml is already imported by lasem, so that we don't to need to
have a copy in abiword.

We also have an unrelated issue for the mathml to itex conversion. We
currently use the same style sheets than for the mathml to latex
conversion, but itex is much more restrictive, so sometimes it does not
accept the resulting string, especially some entities. There are several
possible solutions: have modified style sheets which ensure that the
resulting string can be accepted by itex2mml (this is mainly replacing
some entities by appropriate &#xxx; codes), use a pre-parser to replace
what itex2mml can't convert, or send patches to the itex2mml authors
(not sure this will be efficient, who knows?).

If it is too easy for a GSOC project, I'll do it myself (I suppose it
can be done in one week or less).

Cheers,
Jean