Re: A bug -- maybe?

Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Wed, 07 Oct 1998 22:57:10 -0700

At 09:54 PM 10/7/98 -0400, J. Patrick Narkinsky wrote:
>New lines generated by word-wraps and new lines generated by a hard return
>are not the same height. In short, when I press return, it appears to
>insert _two_ newlines (as though I pressed return twice in a conventional
>word processor).

Actually, if you look at the behavior of selections and cursor motion,
there's only a single hard return there.

>Is this a feature or a bug? If the former, may I suggest against it?
>First, it's awkward for people used to traditional WP's -- secondly, it
>would make entry of addresses and such difficult to format correctly.

It's the early implementation of a cool feature, which controls the vertical
padding between paragraphs via the margin-top and margin-bottom properties.
For more information, see the following code:

abi\src\wp\ptbl\xp\pp_Property.cpp
abi\src\wp\fmt\xp\fp_Column.cpp

For now, we've set the default for these properties to a quarter of an inch,
to show it off on our sample documents:

abi\src\wp\samples\*

The behavior you want is available by just zeroing those defaults. When
we've got more of a GUI in place, you'll be able to control this and other
formatting properties directly.

>BTW, the last fix worked -- nice work.

No problem. I'd been hunting down something similar on Friday, but hadn't
found it in time to get it into the tarball. Your message was an extremely
timely reminder. :-)

>(p.s. is there any kind of bug tracker online and I just missed it?)

Nope, not yet. I've heard some mumbling about trying out Bugzilla, but
nobody's had time to get it installed yet. Does anyone know of any better
Web-based tools we should consider?

Paul