Re: 0.1.4 breeaks compilation on Alpha system

Brian E.W. Wood (beww@intac.com)
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 13:21:21 -0500 (EST)

On 28-Oct-98 sterwill@io.nu wrote:
> Thanks for trying AbiWord out... I _think_ I can solve all your problems,
> and pretty easily. :) The first is an organizational problem, the one
> with the architecture-dependent GCC switches (-m486, etc.). Short of
> removing them completely (which wouldn't bother me), I don't see a non-
> convoluted way of keeping the build process sane across all platforms
> supported by a given OS (like Linux). It's simple to set your own
> environment variable CFLAGS with any optimizations you may like.
> I think I'll do that, since the flags in there now don't really do anything
> anyway.

This is not a problem, I can simply remove the offending flags but a cleaner
multi-platform solution would obviously be better.

> The second problem has to do with the location of glibconfig.h.
> Starting with some version of GTK+, that file has moved on over
> to /usr/local/lib/glib/include, which was not in our include search
> path. Actually, a few hours after we rolled up the tarball, I noticed
> this was a problem on machines that I hadn't done a symlink for (messy
> fix). I've added a check at the bottom of abi_defs.mk, so that if you're
> building the Unix GUI, it tacks on -I/usr/local/lib/glib/include to the
> INCLUDE path. I'm now sure this was the wrong way to do it, but it
> worked.
>
> The makefile now checks if you're building for a Unix GUI and adds
> the output of "gtk-config --cflags" onto the CFLAGS variable before
> it goes off to build objects. If you grab the latest CVS source, these
> changes should be incorporated. That single missed include caused all
> those syntax errors.
>
> As of today, Eric has committed some JavaScript work, so you'll have
> to check out the js/ module from the CVS archive and build/install
> it before building the updated abi/ module tree.

Compiling the js stuff barfs immediately with:

]# make
cd . && aclocal -I ./am -I15032(srcdir)/am.opt
/bin/sh: syntax error near unexpected token `-I15032(s'
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: `cd . && aclocal -I ./am -I15032(srcdir)/am.opt'
make: *** [aclocal.m4] Error 2

This obviously comes from the line in the Makefile:

ACLOCAL_FLAGS_FOR_LIBTOOL = -I15032(srcdir)/am.opt

Not sure what that is all about but it would seem that perhaps autoconf is
having a bad day?

Speaking of autoconf, The Alpha 21164pc CPU reports itself as alphapca56 while
the 21164a reports itself as alphaev56. The stock config.sub does not have an
entry for the alphapca56 so I have to make one. This is not a big problem (I've
had to do it with all of the KDE stuff) but again is something to note for
anybody with an SX164 Alpha machine.

> Hopefully, the system should build with the latest versions of our
> tree from CVS. If you've got any other questions, just mail them here, and
> I'll try to figure them out.
>

> Nope, 1.0.6 was what I was using until last week here. I've since
> moved up to the latest GNOME CVS tree versions of GTK+, the 1.1.X series
> so I can incorporate some of the latest widgets (notably the font
> selector). Since I stuck that code in the tree today, you'll need to upgrade
> to the GTK+ 1.1.X series to make this work.
>
> Is this something you really don't want to do? I'm using 1.1.X here at home,
> and since the old shared libs are still around, things like Gimp work just
> fine. I'm hoping having people change to 1.1.X isn't too big a deal; but
> to take advantage of the newer widgets and future GNOME integration, it's
> something we've gotta do some time. The web page will be updated very
> soon to reflect these changes.

Not a problem for me. I have upgraded to 1.1.1 (1.1.2 wouldn't compile for me).

> If there's demand, I'll #ifdef out the font selection code so people can
> use GTK+ 1.0.6, or you can do it yourself (it's in
> wp/ap/unix/ap_EditMethods.cpp,
> in _chooseFont() if I remember correctly).

Well don't do it on my account.

So if I can just getthe js stuff compiled and installed, but I'm out of time
for now.

Thanks for all the pointers.

---
Brian E.W. Wood  beww@intac.com