Re: Outlook Equivalent?

Eric W. Sink (eric@postman.abisource.com)
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 09:59:19 -0500

So far, AbiLook (hee hee hee) is not very close to the top of our
priority list. For some reasons, I think it would be a fun addition.
After all, PIMs are not conceptually hard, and the requisite attention
to excellent GUI work fits our core mission pretty well.

However, the minimum feature set for a PIM is pretty high right now,
if you want it to gain a large user base. For example, I don't think
you can get really big market penetration with a PIM unless you can
sync to a PalmPilot (or whatever the official name of that device is
this week).

As for your architectural questions:

The AbiWord text engine is going to need to be abstracted out to be
more suitable for use in multiple apps. For example, AbiShow (our
PowerPoint-like-thingie) needs it. A PIM would certainly need it
as well.

The XAP (cross-application) framework stuff is currently being
purified to make it more reusable for apps other than AbiWord.
We hope to make it easier to code a simple GUI app in the
Abi fashion.

--

--
Eric W. Sink, Software Craftsman