Re: An opinion on vi key bindings

Robert G. Werner (rwerner@lx1.microbsys.com)
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 09:41:16 -0700 (PDT)

It's all my fault ..., though Jeff H. started it ;-)
Basically what happened was Jeff worked out a way to do key bindings and
announced it, mentioning that it was fairly easy to make different sets and
he introduced the emacs bindings. I smarted off that we should have a set of
vi bindings for symetry's sake. He challenged me to work out the tables for
vi (I set up some of the basic beginings). The rest is list history ;-)

Basically, the only reason I would enjoy this feature is that when I've been
doing a lot of work with vi, I have a tendency to hit the <esc> key when I
want to move around, type :wq when I'm done editing, and use the hjkl keys
to move around. I wouldn't need much more than that to be happy. However,
the key tables that Jeff has worked out are fairly easy to implement so any
of the obvious functions that can be implemented in terms of vi keys really
should.

As far as programmer resources, remember this is a volunteer effort. Jeff,
AFAIK, isn't writing the vi bindings. Thus, no programer effort is being
diverted. I'm not sure I would advertise this as being a major feature of
Abiword but it certainly could be lots of fun to discover. In the end,
these key bindings aren't really part of Abi-word. Right now they get
compiled in but in the future, as I understand, they will be dynamically
loaded. So, if it really bothers you, just think of them as a set of user
modifications some of us are sharing. You don't have to ever see them unless
you specifically ask for them.
However, thanks for your opinions. I would never want to see the AbiWord
team getting distracted by something like this. They are making a great Word
Processor, not another text editor. Vigilence like this will help keep that
distinction clear.

Robert G. Werner
rwerner@lx1.microbsys.com
Impeach Conggress!!

For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do.
-- Paul of Tarsus, (Saint Paul)

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Jeff Evarts wrote:

> FWIW:
>
> 1) It seems incredibly unlikely I'll ever use the vi key bindings.
[snip]