An opinion on vi key bindings

Jeff Evarts (jde@eng.us.uu.net)
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 14:27:12 -0400

FWIW:

1) It seems incredibly unlikely I'll ever use the vi key bindings.
Because:
a) I'm a vi "power user", and I use enough of vi that
anything that is missing would bug me enough to
switch back.

b) I'd rather use "the right tool for the job", meaning
that I'll use a text editor when one is appropriate,
and a word processor when that is appropriate.

UNIX was built on the premise that you don't build all-powerful
all-encompassing programs, just useful tools: "Why write "cat"
when there's "dd" which does all the same things?"

2) I've got to assume that anyone reading the 3-line blurb on
Freshmeat that includes "vi key bindings" is NOT going to think
that this is a "real" word processor. It runs (my) mind in exactly
the other direction, away from GUI and WYSIWYG.

3) This is a non-trivial amount of work going into a feature that
(I would guess) less than 10% of the users will ever use. Can't
we find some more efficient way to spend our time (as programmers,
contributors, and debuggers)?

These are all OPINIONS (mine), so I'm not claiming to know all and see
all. Nevertheless, this seems like this subproject's break-even point
in time-in-for-usage-out is much farther away than, say, adding
outline mode, even though I don't know what that is.

Thanks for listening,
-Jeff

--
Jeff Evarts