Re: commit -- UT_sint32 and UT_uint32 get smaller!

Drazen Kacar (dave@srce.hr)
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 10:10:34 +0200

Shaw Terwilliger wrote:
> ut_types.h had defined UT_sint32 and UT_uint32 to be "signed long"
> and "unsigned long", respectively. While a long is 32-bits (4
> bytes) wide on a 32-bit Intel, that's not always true on a 64-bit
> Alpha or UltraSparc. I've changed them to be "signed int" and
> "unsigned int" respectively,

This is probably not compatible with your build process, but just in
case somebody is interested:

All-new, all-improved ANSI/ISO C standard will *probably* require
<inttypes.h> header. Here's a snippet from the draft:

[#2] The following designate exact-width signed integer
types:

int8_t int16_t int32_t int64_t

[#3] The following designate exact-width unsigned integer
types:

uint8_t uint16_t uint32_t uint64_t

(Any of these types might not exist.)

Anyway, Solaris and HP-UX have that header, and I think D/UX has
it also, but I can't check at the moment. IRIX doesn't have it.
Linux probably doesn't have it either, but I hear that all-new,
all-improved glibc will contain it.

Before anyone decides to use it, it would be advisable to read
the comments in the include file, at least on Solaris.

--
 .-.   .-.    Life is a sexually transmitted disease.