AbiWord 0.5.5

Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 15:09:18 -0700

... is out.

Our first binary release (0.7.0) is fast approaching, so we'd really like
everyone to beat on this and make sure we're not missing any key patches or
features. Also, if you'd like a translation to your favorite language
included with the initial binaries, now's the time to provide it.

Selected highlights since 0.5.4 include:

1. Made production mode the default way of building. To continue to get a
debug build add ABI_OPT_DEBUG=1 to the make command line or set it in an
environment variable before starting make. See abi/src/config/abi_defs.mk
for details.

2. More platforms supported. We've had confirmation from Larry Kollar
<kollar@stc.net> that AbiWord builds and runs on MkLinux. Also, we've made
a few minor fixes so that Sun's pricey C++ compiler can handle our source.
Thanks to Drazen Kacar <dave@srce.hr> for testing our blind-coded solutions
to each problem as he finds them.

3. BeOS improvements. Thomas Fletcher <thomasf@qnx.com> has cranked out a
whole slew of improvements to the BeOS port, including:

- updated makefile so it builds on BeBoxen, too
- title bar now reflects document name
- menu size same as most other Be applications
- all toolbar widgets now display, including group boxes
- added support for rulers and images
- proper mouse support
- smooth scrolling and way less flicker

4. Localization. Strings have been extracted from all remaining dialogs.
Integrated another round of Finnish translations from Jarmo Karvonen
<jarmo@dawn.joensuu.fi>. Anyone interested in providing translations for
other languages or locales should read abi/docs/AbiSource_Localization.abw
before submitting patches.

5. New dialogs. Insert Break works on GTK and Win32, stubbed on BeOS.
Zoom still being prototyped on GTK, and stubbed out on the other platforms.

6. Editing around page and section breaks improved. Kudos to Matt Kimball
<robozapp@xmission.com>, who dug through the formatter/layout code and
submitted several patches for bugs he'd been running across there.

7. Temporary formatting. Jeff's done a massive rework of the logic for
handling the interaction between format changes and editing. If you notice
any remaining odd behavior in this area that's not already in Bugzilla,
please speak up.

8. Reworked command-line parsing. Added a -dumpstrings switch. Can now
open multiple files, instead of just one.

Enjoy!

Paul