Re: Word 97 import/export

Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 15:42:24 -0700

At 02:05 AM 4/29/99 +0200, Halfdan aka Rasmus Toftdahl Olesen wrote:
>Hi Abi Developers :-)
>
>I have with great interest surfed tour webpage, and i have to say that
>this project looks VERY promising :-)
>
>I read that you needed a import/export filter to Word 97 (and
>soon-to-arrive Word 2000), i think that this would be a very interesting
>thing to do as it will be of help, not only to myself, to people wanting
>to eliminate their windows partion and run all Linux without the need to
>reboot, just to write a corporate letter or other document.
>
>If you would like me to program (or at least have a try at it) this part
>of the program, please mail me :-) although i won't be able to start
>developing until end-pf-may/june due to exams :-(
>
>Venlig Hilsen / Best Regards:
>Halfdan aka Rasmus Toftdahl Olesen
>rto@post.tele.dk
>http://halfdan.dht.dk

Thanks for offering. Yes, having great support for Word import/export is
very important to this project, and we'd love to have your help.

At the moment, we're using a hacked version of Caolan McNamara's MSWORDVIEW
libraries as our importer, but it's more brittle than we'd like. Justin
Bradford <justin@ukans.edu> is currently leading the effort to do a clean
implementation, which looks like a lot of work.

Why don't you contact him and see what would be a reasonable way to divide
up the work? At this point, I'm not sure whether it makes more sense to
have you both work together on the importer, or have you just start directly
on the exporter.

However, I'm sure that's something you both can figure out pretty easily.

Paul