Re: Building abiword on BSD/OS

Shaw Terwilliger (sterwill@postman.sourcegear.com)
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 15:50:38 -0500

Jeff Evarts wrote:
> ld: cannot open -ldl: No such file or directory
> gmake[4]: *** [/scratch/jde/abi/74/abi/src/BSD_4.0.1_i386_OBJ/bin/AbiWord_s] Error 1
>
> Now why would Abiword nead the dynamic library library if it's
> linking a static version?
>
> I must be missing something simple.

Since I didn't see "-ldl" in the link line explicitly,
it seems like our makefiles (which do not invoke "-ldl" for
static builds for FreeBSD), I'm assuming gtk-config is
including it. "gtk-config --libs" (on my Linux system)
returns (line wrapped):

-L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule \
-lglib -ldl -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm

You might be able to compile GTK to disable all static or
all dynamic linkage, and that might solve the problem.

You could also ask your vendor for libdl.a. :)

In the mean time, you can do builds like "make UNIX_CAN_BUILD_STATIC=0"
and it will just skip the static build.

--
Shaw Terwilliger