Re: Equations

Leonard Rosenthol (leonardr@lazerware.com)
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 21:21:28 -0400

At 5:26 PM -0700 8/4/99, Paul Rohr wrote:
>Dan Connolly started a thread last month on the use of XML namespaces in
>AbiWord, which gives a nice overview of our intended approach:

Which appears to be pretty much "ignore the problem" - ie.
don't bother with namespaces since "we don't see a need for them and
their break compatibility".

I can certainly appreciate the latter issue, however, the
former is going to bite you on the behind as you move to support
other XML-based standards such as (and perhaps specifically) SVG.
Since one would expect an SVG graphic to live inside a .abw XML
document, it's pretty important (imperative?) that a parser be able
to determine what to do with the appropriate tags - especially since
SVG will be a namespaced standard to start with, and you'll want/need
to keep those tags in tact.

At a minimum, I'd suggest updating to the latest expat (1.1),
which I believe supports namespaces.

Leonard

You've got a SmartFriend in Pennsylvania
Leonard Rosenthol Internet: leonardr@lazerware.com
America Online: MACgician
Web Site: <http://www.lazerware.com/>
FTP Site: <ftp://ftp.lazerware.com/>
PGP Fingerprint: C76E 0497 C459 182D 0C6B AB6B CA10 B4DF 8067 5E65