Re: Suggestion:: AbiEdit project

ArcadePreserv Center (arcadepreserv@hotmail.com)
Thu, 05 Aug 1999 08:49:34 PDT

>From: Shaw Terwilliger <sterwill@postman.sourcegear.com>
>To: ArcadePreserv Center <arcadepreserv@hotmail.com>,
>abiword-dev@abisource.com
>Subject: Re: Suggestion:: AbiEdit project
>Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 10:36:17 -0500
>
>ArcadePreserv Center wrote:
> > What I would want is an editor that has versions for both windows and
>Linux,
> > which I could use both at work and at home, and which I could contribute
> > code too, so since Abi already has AbiWord and AbiCalc, whynot also an
> > AbiEdit project ?
>
>I hear GNU Emacs runs under Windows, you might give that a try.
>Emacs should run on every operating system you can ever find,
>and it's an editor to the extreme in every direction. :)
>
>Emacs is quite mature, being at version 21, so the code
>you could contribute might be comparatively small, but it's
>the editor I use for all my coding. Actually, I use XEmacs
>(www.xemacs.org), which might also run under Windows and has
>a few bells and whistles GNU Emacs doesn't.
>
>Emacs is an editor, lisp machine, integrated development
>environment (parses compiler, debugger, make, output),
>and can read mail or news depending on the lisp you install.
>
>--
>Shaw Terwilliger

I know many people fancy emacs, but it seams that amacs dont like me :)

I really want a quite simple editor, with syntax highlightning, several
documents selectable with selection-tabs, a simple on-toolbar search tool
with search up and downwards, wrap around the document at ends, and a
separate search for marked text button.

Parenthesis check is also nice, and it must look nice, like abiword for
example.

A nice always-on-left-of-window file browser would be nice, and if possible
also an automatic check-in, check out from visual sourcesave/CVS, would be
appreciated.

There are other small things I would like too, but cant remember right now.