Re: Abiword and Stampede

Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Fri, 06 Aug 1999 10:04:17 -0700

At 10:29 AM 8/5/99 -0600, Gary Richardson wrote:
>I just installed the abiword slp on my stampede box. It appears to have
>worked and runs as fine as my compiled version.
>
>I just thought you may like to know.

Thanks.

>btw, all of the slp's that Stampede distributes are compiled with pgcc to
>get pentium optimization (hence Stampede being a pentium only
>distribution). Are the Abiword slp's "pentium optimized?"
>
>I know that this is really nitpicky for a word processor under
>development and such, but it is more for the uniformity of stampede . . .

No problem. If you take a look at the following file:

abi/src/pkg/linux/Makefile

you'll notice that our build process current uses alien to convert from RPM
to SLP package. AFAIK, the RPM is *not* pentium-optimized.

Patches to do a better job are always welcome. Note however that we're kind
of short on equipment in our build farm, so if we'd need to do a separate
compilation pass to get the optimizations you want, that'd work a heck of a
lot better if we had another Stampede-specific box to build (and test) it
on. ;-)

Paul