Re: MS import news from KDE

Justin Bradford (justin@ukans.edu)
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 18:27:09 -0500 (CDT)

> Werner Trobin has implemented an OLE-stream decoder for KOffice. This is
> a big step towards decoding Microsoft Offiece documents and will be of
> great use to developers currently working on MS Office import filters.

OLE decoders are nearly as prolific as IRC clients and GNOME mail clients.
Your current options are:
COLE
laola
wv's modified laola
libole2 (in gnumeric)
and now the KOffice OLE decoder, too.

I mean no offense to anyone working on such a decoder, I just find it
amusing that there are so many while it seems like such an unappealing
coding project (poor [and occassionally incorrect] documentation, arcane
file formats, lots of testing/reverse-engineering).

Justin