Re: PPC linux.mk fix

Gary Thomas (gdt@linuxppc.org)
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 06:36:17 -0600 (MDT)

On 16-Aug-99 Shaw Terwilliger wrote:
> Gary Thomas wrote:
>> Depending on the version of EGCS/GCC you have installed, you might
>> also want to add "-fno-schedule-insns2" as well. This is/was necessary
>> to get things to work well on my system.
>
> I don't have a PPC Linux box to test these out on (I will soon, thanks
> to the LinuxPPC guys and a new PowerBook I've ordered; FedEx decides
> which will get here first. :) ).

Great to have yet another convert :-)

> Is -fno-schedule-insns2 harmful or a missing option on older or
> non EGCS compilers? If it's a safe option, I think I'll add it to the
> PPC Linux options in the distributed Makefile.

There is [at least for nearly two years now] nothing other than EGCS on
Linux/PPC. You can certainly feel comfortable using this option.

The option is relatively benign; it keeps the compiler from performing
a part of the optimizer (the HAIFA instruction scheduler, pass #2 in
particular) that has been the source of some incorrect code in the past.
For the time being, I recommend using this option for anything compiled
for Linux/PPC since it has little effect on the code other than preserve
it's correctness.