Re: Abiword

Shaw Terwilliger (sterwill@postman.sourcegear.com)
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 15:29:05 -0500

James Reategui wrote:
> I tried out your Abi software suite and opened an important text document of
> mine. I did some modifications to it and then saved. When I tried to open the
> file again, came to the surprise that it had only saved the first lines of the
> entire 300k document. An entire months work had gone to the trash!!!

The latest release of AbiWord is currently 0.7.4, which falls under
the category of "unstable development versions," as explained at
http://www.abisource.com/dev_download.phtml under the section
"Release Numbers". AbiWord is not yet at 1.0, the first
stable release will be either at 1.0 or at some other time when
the minor version is an even number (as explained on the above
web page).

> How can you even distribute a program that wont save? Even if it is free, you
> should still make a comment about it that it cant save right and will corrupt
> files. So in base, your software is still useless, because without the save
> option, you cant really do much.
> I dont know why you call it a productivity suite if it is anti-productive

I just created a 1.3 MB text file (with Emacs), saved it as as
an AbiWord document, and it did incorporate changes made in
AbiWord as well as write the complete file to disk. The operation
was successful, as a witness can attest. Did you save the
file in native AbiWord format (.abw) or plain text? Did you
use the File->SaveAs option, or just the File->Save?

You said you opened a "text document"; was this file plain ASCII
text or a document from some other application? If AbiWord did
corrupt a file on save (or is showing other problems with file
import or export), we'd be glad to hear about the problems, and in
the mean-time I would recommend you restore your file from
a backup copy and continue to use your favorite fully-functional
text editor until we provide a stable release.

--
Shaw Terwilliger