wv 0.5.24 updates

Caolan McNamara (Caolan.McNamara@ul.ie)
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 13:05:11 +0100 (IST)

I made some (hopefully) final changes to fast saved handling, and it looks a
lot better now. Char attributes are correct, and the issue of para begins and
ends being missing from paras that begin in fastsave section appears to be
cleared up. There is still spurious character runs being created in this
location, but they appear within paragraph blocks, not outside them, and they
have no contents so they only create redundant tags in the html output, or in
the case of the lib makes it more inefficient. So its not 100% but its close
enough that it'll make absolutely not difference in the case of an abiword-like
app, and only someone looking at the source of the html output will make rude
noises about how crap and ineffecient wv is because it outputs empty tags.

So the bottom line it that it is a known misfeature that in the case of
fastsaved files that there is the duplication of empty char attributes in a
small limited number of cases. If you really dislike this, then set options
in msword to only create fullsaved files :-)

I could do with a few testers to run a few documents through wvHtml. wvHtml
has to be run in the same dir as its wvHtml.xml config file. Crashes or
incorrect character properties are what im looking for. It does at the moment

paras, centered, left and right just.

char props, italic, bold, underline, strikethrough, sub and superscript and
color. Font support is not in. and headers and footers will be completely
non-existant or in the wrong place. Deleted and added text through revision
support will be strikethrough and underline the same as word itself does it,
editing the wvHtml.xml file will show you how to override behaviour like that.

This para and char support only relates to the word to html output, the wv
lib itself supports the full ms para and char structs which are handed off
to abiword to do with what it wants with them.

I also haven't tested word 7 and 6 since these changes went in, so they
might explode it, but I don't think they will.

C.

Real Life: Caolan McNamara * Doing: MSc in HCI
Work: Caolan.McNamara@ul.ie * Phone: +353-86-8790257
Decorate, decorate