Homophone checker?

Nicholas Bodley (nbodley@shell2.tiac.net)
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 17:16:23 -0400 (EDT)

Suggestion for a feature, possibly unique, and definitely needed:

When I see "visit our web sight", "that's to much", "I'm a member of
you're group" and the like, I cringe, because I do spell well.

Afaik, no current WP* has a checking feature that would spot such
misusages. Everything is spelled OK, but the meanings are all out of
whack.

*Most of my knowledge is secondhand.

Its dictionary would be much smaller than that of a spelling checker.
What it would do is scan the text, spotting homophones ("homonyms" is far
too fussy a term, and non-descriptive). At each, it would pop up a little
dialog, asking which of two or more choices the writer really wanted. It
would offer extremely-concise synonyms, with more extensive definitions
available on request.

Naturally, it would insert the writer's choice easily.

Hope the idea helps!