Re: Interested in overall plan + unified editor/browser model

Subject: Re: Interested in overall plan + unified editor/browser model
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 14:37:30 CST

Aaron,

Sounds like you won't be waiting for Sun to release the StarOffice source
before you start coding. ;-)

Yes, we do use XML as our native file format. Take a look at it. It's a
heck of a lot cleaner than any binary format we've seen, and the code
required to process it is a lot simpler to maintain, too:

  abi/src/wp/impexp/xp/*
  abi/src/text/ptbl/xp/*

As for the meta-issue about merging the GUIs of various app categories, yes,
that work may eventually get done. However, that's not likely to happen
soon enough to change any of my coding decisions in the near future.

In the mean time, we're going to focus on delivering a few pieces of the
puzzle, now, so that people can use them today. We'd love to have your help
on any of the practical coding tasks we currently face.

Since you're interested in focusing on issues relevant to disabled users,
that'd be a great place for you to get started.

Paul