Re: Interested in overall plan + unified editor/browser model

Subject: Re: Interested in overall plan + unified editor/browser model
From: Aaron Leventhal (aaronl@chorus.net)
Date: Wed Dec 01 1999 - 16:23:05 CST

Paul,
>Cool. We could always use more help.

Thanks. And I appreciate the in depth explanation. I'm not very familiar
with what it takes to write a browser, though I do understand the problems
with poorly formed code. Also, the progressive rendering difference was
something I hadn't thought of. I've worked on my own word processor, which
probably has a very nonstandard internal structure (a double-linked list of
objects) than a modern piece of software.

As far as StarOffice goes, I definitely agree it suffers from GUI clutter.
However, I don't think the clutter is necessarily because of the
unification of the browser and word processor. I think it's because they
wanted to have everything available immediately as a button on the screen,
even when it's a rarely used feature. Perhaps the browser isn't the browser
either, but it works.

I agree there are many differences between HTML/web page markup and the
markup one might use for publishing. I'm thinking that both could be
represented internally as a meta-XML that covers all the bases. The
internal structure would have to be able to handle both paper-publishing
and electronic publishing.

Possibly this is just something for the computer world to chew on for a
while. I think it makes sense that eventually it will be done well. The
difference between a personal computer's files and files that on the
internet will eventually become transparent. The only difference between
the 2 will be the location of the file, and whether you have write access
privledge. People will want one simple tool that they can do it all with:
feed various types of data into, view or manipulate in a familiar way, and
publish either electronically or on paper. It should work on a desktop or a
palmtop. A app that does this will differentiate it from old word
processors based on proprietary pre-web markup models.

I really think XML is key, and I understand Abiword bases everything on
XML. I find it interesting that many XML formats start off from a base of
HTML. For example, the open eBook XML standard, which will be used in
electronic books, started from a base of HTML.

Perhaps a major thing that makes bad HTML is the lack of end tags, which is
required in XML. Am I correct that if a piece of HTML had enough end tags,
it would be a small step from XML. Perhaps when the HTML is imported it can
be turned into XML internally? I don't know - I believe you when you say
writing a good browser is incredibly difficult. I don't personally know how
to build such a unified architecture.

But the main reason I bring this up is simplicity for the user. Designing a
software architecture for a unified text program may create extra
headaches, but I think the outward interface design could be very elegant.
I think it could turn heads.

Do you think eventually future software might sucessfully do this? Is it
intuitive? Or do you think the traditional separation between
browser/mailer/word processor/HTML exists because it makes sense and
should/will stay that way?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts,
Aaron