Re: Patch for HTML export (bug#461?)

Subject: Re: Patch for HTML export (bug#461?)
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Fri Dec 03 1999 - 17:00:47 CST

At 12:36 PM 12/3/99 +0000, d.rose@salford.ac.uk wrote:
>3. I think I've stuck to coding standards, you may like to check...

Looks fine. I went ahead and moved the #defines from the .h to the .cpp,
because they aren't used outside of it. (Plus which, this matches what's
happening in the other importers.)

>Something I'd like to ask is: is it possible _ever_ to nest these style
>types? I know headings don't nest, but how about Block/Plain text? They
>don't _appear_ to nest. The code will fail (i.e. stick in the wrong
>end-tags) if nesting does occur.

Styles are flattened down to two levels -- character ("C") and paragraph
("P"), so at any point in time you could theoretically have one C style
nested inside one P style. No other form of nesting is valid. For an
example, see:

  abi/test/wp/Styles.abw

For now, it looks like you should be safe. See the implementation of
pt_PieceTable::_loadBuiltinStyles() in the following file:

  abi/src/text/ptbl/xp/pt_PT_Styles.cpp

The original builtin set are all paragraph-level ("P") styles, so they'll
never nest.

Paul

PS: Later on, it might be interesting to play around with exporting other
style information using the usual HTML/CSS mechanisms. However, we've never
messed with CSS selectors, so it might take some extra work to get the
mapping right.