Re: tinderbox is up and running

Subject: Re: tinderbox is up and running
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 14:24:20 CST

At 03:58 PM 12/6/99 -0600, Stephen Hack wrote:
>If you guys down at Abiword would like to host the server yourselves, I could
>ftp the code. It needs to be running in a peer directory to bonsai to
>implement most of the functionality. (guilty list, error and warning lists,
>and probably many others)

Very cool!

Since you've already done the work to get a tinderbox host up and running,
that code should be fairly easy to transfer to our machines. However,
before we do so, I've got a few questions:

1. How resource-intensive is it to run the tinderbox host? We try to be
careful about not doing anything which would bog down our web / mail / CVS
etc. server. However, if it's pretty efficient, that's a very tempting
idea.

2. More importantly, does anyone have any experience getting tinderbox
*clients* to run on any of our other supported platforms -- especially NT
and BeOS? We're starting to have a decent collection of machines in our
build farm, and if it's easy to get them all running Tinderbox clients, then
bringing up the host here would be a great way to help keep the product
building cleanly on all those platforms.

3. How do the host and clients communicate? Are there any security or
bandwidth considerations we'd need to worry about there?

Paul