Re: commit -- watch out for binary files

Subject: Re: commit -- watch out for binary files
From: Stephen Hack (shack@uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 19:33:06 CST

The easiest way to tell CVS that a specific file type is binary, is via the
CVSROOT/cvswrappers

Here's the comment at the beginning of the file

# This file affects handling of files based on their names.
#
# The -t/-f options allow one to treat directories of files
# as a single file, or to transform a file in other ways on
# its way in and out of CVS.
#
# The -m option specifies whether CVS attempts to merge files.
#
# The -k option specifies keyword expansion (e.g. -kb for binary).
#
# Format of wrapper file ($CVSROOT/CVSROOT/cvswrappers or .cvswrappers)
#
# wildcard [option value][option value]...
#
# where option is one of
# -f from cvs filter value: path to filter
# -t to cvs filter value: path to filter
# -m update methodology value: MERGE or COPY
# -k expansion mode value: b, o, kkv, &c
#
# and value is a single-quote delimited value.
# For example:
#*.gif -k 'b'

To add png, doc, and what every other type of binary files
*.png -k 'b' -m COPY
*.doc -k 'b' -m COPY

This way, other files (like README) will have the lf's converted.

-shack