Re: word importer (was Re: commit -- Patch for HTML export (bug#461?))

Subject: Re: word importer (was Re: commit -- Patch for HTML export (bug#461?))
From: Gary Johnson (garyjohn@spk.hp.com)
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 19:05:39 CST

On Sun, Dec 05, 1999 at 04:08:44PM -0800, Paul Rohr wrote:
> At 05:39 PM 12/5/99 -0600, Stephen Hack wrote:

> >What is the plan for tables? Is that a pre-1.0 or a post 1.0 feature?

> We deliberately held a bunch of more "advanced" features for subsequent
> releases. For example, tables are likely to be a big job -- the UI for them
> is very complex -- and we've still got a number of other 1.0 features to
> crank through first (lists, fields, headers and footers, symbols, etc.).

When it comes time to design the tables UI, I certainly hope you don't
copy the Word97 UI. It may be nice for creating tables, and adding new
rows is a breeze, but editing tables is an incredible pain--I have
seldom been so frustrated with a piece of software. FrameMaker, for
example, does a much better job of handling tables: they're easy to
edit, they look nice, text can be run vertically, and the column
headings are repeated after page breaks.

Just my $0.02.

Gary