Re: commit -- Scott Kovner trailblazes Mac port

Subject: Re: commit -- Scott Kovner trailblazes Mac port
From: Scott Kovner (kovner@austin.rr.com)
Date: Sat Dec 18 1999 - 20:40:17 CST

on 12/18/99 8:30 PM, Paul Rohr at paul@abisource.com wrote:
> Next step is, I suppose, to get the app to crash on launch -- a major
> milestone in every porting job I've ever been part of! :-)

That's my experience too! And that's where I got to before I sent Robert
Sievers the new Mac source files. Everything links successfully, but soon
after the app launches I get...

"Assertion ((szPath) && (*szPath)) failed in "ut_MacString.cpp" on line 64"

This is because I did not implement getUserPrivateDirectory(), so it is
returning an empty string as the Path to that directory. I haven't worked on
it since then.

I've since sent Robert some extra Mac files that I overlooked. (I had only
sent him changed files, not new ones.) I don't know if they are in the tree
yet.

Is there a good document for me to read on procedures? I'm new to the whole
open-source thing.

Scott

on 12/18/99 8:30 PM, Paul Rohr at paul@abisource.com wrote:

> At 06:49 PM 12/18/99 -0600, Robert Sievers wrote:
>> You knew it would happen. It was just a question of when and who.
>>
>> Scott Kovner, kovner@austin.rr.com, has starting cranking away on getting
>> AbiWord to compile on the Mac.
>
> It's very cool to see this port under way again. I take it from a quick
> scan of the diffs that the Mac folks may be close to getting everything to
> link again.
>
> Next step is, I suppose, to get the app to crash on launch -- a major
> milestone in every porting job I've ever been part of! :-)
>
>> This checkin is fairly localized, and shouldn't casue any problems. There
>> are multiple people wanting to work on this, so once Caolan has a chance to
>> fix wv/field.c, efforts can continue.
>
> What's the issue with wv/field.c? I don't remember seeing anything about it
> on the list, and wv currently builds fine for me (modulo the usual warnings.)
>
> Paul

Scott Kovner | "The big boys, they all got computers."
kovner@austin.rr.com | --Don Henley