Re: AbiWord 0.7.7

Subject: Re: AbiWord 0.7.7
From: Justin Bradford (justin@ukans.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 20 1999 - 13:44:13 CST

> Although the Gnome Version is rather helpful to some, it is rather
> annoying to others. Since Gnome isn't a standard part of Linux (it
> isn't in all the various distributions, Suse, Caldera, TurboLinux,
> Debian, Corel, etc.) Without adding several libaries and significant
> hacking it is difficult getting the Linux version to compile (I am
> still working on getting all of my patches ready for submission) I do
> know how going with a specific desktop and its subsequent libaries is
> useful (much of my programming uses the Qt libararies) but due to the
> desire the Abisuite project (to have as much cross platform code as
> possible) Why should we cause additional issues within a platform?

The Gnome target is optional. If you find it annoying, you can still build
the generic unix target (which is still the default anyway), which only
uses GTK+ (and some other common libraries).

I don't understand why you are having problems, or why you are concerned
that AbiWord has been ported to another "platform" (ie. gnome). You are
more than welcome to port to Qt/KDE, as well...

Justin