Re: AbiWord 0.7.7

Subject: Re: AbiWord 0.7.7
sterwill@abisource.com
Date: Mon Dec 20 1999 - 14:34:43 CST

Matt Coulson wrote:
> Not every distribution include GTK+, it is included in Caldera OpenLinux 2.3
> +, but not included in Debian, Suse, TurboLinux, and a few more. I am working
> on making a port using the Qt libraries but I see this as another example of
> where the LSB has failed (It still is a long way from identifying what are
> the standard libraries), In this situation I think that it should be written
> using X's libraries rather than any of the libraries of GUI's under X. I know
> that this is more work but this problem would be eliminated. What is your
> opinion?

GTK+ certainly _is_ included in the distributions you mention! It's
certainly part of Debian (which I'm using on three architectures on
five different computers, bold older Slink version which ships with
GTK 1.0, and newer Potato version which includes the very latest
GTK 1.2.6). GTK+ (and GNOME) is also standard on Red Hat Linux and many
of its derivatives (Yellow Dog Linux, LinuxPPC, Mandrake Linux,
Red Hat Official to name a few; I've used all of them). SuSE's 6.3
release has GTK+, Gimp, and even GNOME (http://www.suse.com/63newpkgs.html),
and TurboLinux's PDF Information sheet
(http://turbolinux.com/products/TLW4sale.pdf) says it comes with GNOME
(which would mean GTK+).

I can't think of a single current distribution that does _not_ ship with GTK+.
Even Slackware has an entire _section_ of packages just for GTK
applications.

--
Shaw Terwilliger