Re: Current CVS version

Shaw Terwilliger (sterwill@postman.abisource.com)
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 12:30:35 -0600

Justin Bradford wrote:
> I'm trying to compile AbiWord out of CVS (just updated), but it won't
> link. I'm getting lots of undefined referenences to __eh_pc, which
> appears to be a compiler thing. I'm using egcs 1.1.1 on Linux.
> Any thoughts?

I've been using EGCS 1.1.1 on Linux for most of my compiling,
and I've never seen those errors. Do you have difficulty
compiling other things (kernel, etc.)? About the only
thing I could recommend is to make sure your C++ libraries
are installed and up-to-date, which they should be if you
compiled EGCS 1.1.1.

> Also, how well does the MS Word 97 importing work?
> There's a small program I came across called cole, which decodes
> and encodes OLE2 storage objects.

Right now the Word importer isn't really there, although
it's about time for it to be seriously addressed again. We
have a very small start on a native file parser, but I've taken
a look at alternative (other peoples' libraries) methods for
breaking up Word version 8 ("Word97") documents, and this seems
like the winning solution, although we have been focussing
on other features lately.

> If no one else is currently working on word import and export (and
> I can get this to compile) I was thinking about taking a look at it.

I'm wide open to code and ideas on this front. We would love
to have someone take on some of the Word importer/exporter.
I explored some of MSWordView's code (a Word to HTML translator
application), and contacted its author, but that prospect hasn't
advanced much in the last month.

For any other readers, the freshmeat entry for COLE is:

http://freshmeat.net/appindex/1999/01/01/915174246.html

A link to the project's main page is:

http://arturo.directmail.org/filters/

This guy, Robert Arturo Tena Sánchez, seems on top of almost
every single Microsoft file format. He has xls2xml filters,
oledecode, cole, wri2txt, and more. :)

--
Shaw Terwilliger