Re: Current CVS version

Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 17:46:28 -0800

At 07:20 PM 2/12/99 -0600, Justin Bradford wrote:
>I suppose OLE (and CORBA for Linux) integration comes a little later?

Yep. We're still in the "run before you can walk" stage. Picking up speed
quite nicely, though.

>Is their a framework for embedding objects yet? Especially graphics.

What a timely question!

This past week we roughed out a framework for inline binary objects, and
Eric's started using it to implement raster image support. The actual
binary data items will get stored in a separate portion of the document, and
referenced by name.

There's already code in place to import/export binary data items <d> in a
separate <data> section of the AbiWord file format. For example, we plan to
store all raster images as separate base64-encoded PNGs, with references
from inline <i/> tags.

>Also, what about tables?

We've done a bunch of whiteboard work, and have a pretty good idea where
we're likely to start. However, none of us are familiar with how Word
stores and represents tables in their file format, so that might be a useful
design point.

Paul