Re: Current CVS version

Justin Bradford (justin@ukans.edu)
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 19:20:48 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Paul Rohr wrote:
> Just to underscore what Shaw said -- our current .doc importer is a
> placeholder that simply locates a text stream, rips it out and divides it up
> into blocks. It does allow a useful peek into a subset of existing
> documents, but dies on many others, including fastsaved ones.

cole extracts all of the streams to temp files.
In a normal doc, there are several streams: main document, summary,
tables, and data (images, ole objects, etc).
cole returns a list of streams, containing some information about them
and paths to the temp files.
If it's not a problem using temp files, cole can be used without
modification. Or, cole could be very easily modified to just return
memory buffers, if you don't like the inefficieny (read, write, read) due
to the temp files. Of course, it'll be easier on the memory usage...

Also, I've found an excellent description of the Word 8 format at
wotsit.org, and mswordview is relatively straightforward. I'm going to
start with the mswordview source and try to organize it better.

> We've
> known all along that the Word file formats contain more info than we
> currently support, so as you run across them, we'll add 'em.

I suppose OLE (and CORBA for Linux) integration comes a little later?
Is their a framework for embedding objects yet? Especially graphics.
Also, what about tables?

Justin Bradford
justin@ukans.edu