RE: Cafe Con Leche Quote of the Day....

Gavin Thomas Nicol (gtn@eps.inso.com)
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:15:53 -0500

> I look forward to the day that we have an XML based full featured word
> processor, where the editor supplies the requisite style sheets
> and writers can just write to their hearts content without the need of
> specialized data formats. No more worrying whether or not the editor is
> using an older version of Word, never having to reconstruct style sheets.
> If and when such an application comes up, if it isn't from Microsoft
> then they will be running scared.
>
> --Kurt Cagle on the Computer Book Publishing mailing list

This is actually a very naive statement. Even in XML, you have problems
with versions. For example, say in version 1.0 of my DTD, I use

<para>.....</para>

and in the next I use

How can the wordprocessor handle this? Obviously, because it's a
plain-text format, it's easier to update/repair, but the problem
remains.

The problem solved by XML+styleSheets is that of allowing people to
extend/create volcabularies to describe their data and formatting. I
personally use Word styles religiously, but many/most don't. From my
experience, the power of instance overrides is seductive: I hate to think
of the number of Word documents I've seen that use little more than the
Heading N set (on a good day), Body Text, and Normal.

That said, I really want named styles in AbiWord.