Re: I would like to create On-Line HELP

michael@surfnetcity.com.au
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 11:25:47 +1000

On Wed, Jul 14, 1999 at 03:05:51PM -0500, Jeff Hostetler wrote:

> we could, but i really think HTML is a better choice
> (part of that 'right tool for the right job' thing).
> besides:
> [a] we don't do hyperlinks and you really want help to
> be cross-referenced.
> [b] if someone can get AbiWord running or is having serious
> problems, the help is unusable (or you have to have
> part of your help in another format).
> [c] web-browsers are a commodity now and freely available

Well, if you're going to go down the HTML path, go for SGML, and process it
into HTML.

There's a few good reasons for this:

a) Consistent formatting (Those people on this list that used to work for a
company that used to make web browsers would know what I'm talking about)

b) Allows the page to be browser-friendly (which many HTML authors aren't)

c) Allows for exporting into other formats, including postscript (for a printed
manual), and dvi (for converting into postscript ;), as well as plain-text.
(And a .abw target wouldn't be hard to hack up)

d) Is way-easy to do in lyx. (Yes, a rival word processor, but lyx isn't as
"traditional" as AbiWord aims to be)

--
-- Michael Samuel <michael@surfnetcity.com.au>