Re: I would like to create On-Line HELP

Robert Sievers (bob@abisource.com)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 09:44:19 -0500

At 11:25 AM 7/15/99 +1000, michael@surfnetcity.com.au wrote:
>Well, if you're going to go down the HTML path, go for SGML, and process it
>into HTML.
>
>There's a few good reasons for this:
>
>a) Consistent formatting (Those people on this list that used to work for a
>company that used to make web browsers would know what I'm talking about)
>
>b) Allows the page to be browser-friendly (which many HTML authors aren't)
>
>c) Allows for exporting into other formats, including postscript (for a
printed
>manual), and dvi (for converting into postscript ;), as well as plain-text.
>(And a .abw target wouldn't be hard to hack up)
>
>d) Is way-easy to do in lyx. (Yes, a rival word processor, but lyx isn't as
>"traditional" as AbiWord aims to be)

I do not disagree with anything here, eventually. My major concern is to
get some documentation first. In the short term, I will double-check all
the HTML to make sure it doesn't bust anyone's browser. After all, I did
this for a living once.

Let's put one foot in front of the other. Where we go from there is up to
everyone on this list.

Robert Sievers
Open Source Evangelist