Re: XP Questions

Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com)
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 10:53:36 +0000 (GMT)

Wouldn't the standard way to get arround this be to make Solaris packages?
Maybe we could get a few voulenteers to make packages for Solaris, IRIX,
etc. A graphical installer would comparably be a waste of effort. I don't
have the statistics to back me up, but 80% of the current UNIX market for
AbiWord is probably Linux. But I'll say it's 50% just to give in to any
possible doubt. AbiSource already has binary packages made for all glibc
Linuxen (and there's really no point in making binaries below glibc - if
people want to use AbiWord they should be willing to upgrade to versions
of essensial system libraries that are at least ~2-3 years recent), and
FreeBSD. FreeBSD and Linux compose a pretty large sector of the market.
Let's say in 6 months there will be packages for Solaris, IRIX, and
Net/Open BSD. There goes pretty much the whole UNIX market.

But that's not really my point, and I know I'm not really addressing
yours about packaging. So far, most packages off of Linux (i.e. FreeBSD)
are generated by voulenteers. If you can get a voulenteer to compile and
build a package on a certain platform, great. The same would need to hold
true with an installer. I'm sure AbiSource doesn't have the budget to get
exotic UNIX machines so they can build installer binaries.

The ironic thing is you would really have to make a package of the
installer for whatever platforms you wanted binaries on. I can envision a
statically linked excecutable within a tgz, but if you can compile an
installer wouldn't it just be better to build a native package.

If the point is to detect the right libraries, why not make it a
non-graphical shell script? That way it would have ultimate portability,
it would be simple and slim, and ideally you could use it as the make
install for a source tree (on many platforms that don't use rpm/deb
AbiSource can't make binaries of the installer anyway becuase they don't
have access to XYZ platform, and it is hard to find people who do have
administrator access to a IRIX or HP/UX or Ultrix system. I think the
soulution for platforms like that would be to just build the app from
source and avoid package management entirely. A good install script would
be useful and simple).

Motif would not be necessary for X11 though, athena is bundled on all X11
systems that I know of and is even freeer than GTK :)

even better - Xlib!!!