MDI and other thoughts

David Schmitz (david@ecsd.com)
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 05:25:07 -0400

Hello,
As an aspiring spare time programmer, I'm wondering about a couple of
things:

First and foremost, when I try a menu item for for which the dialog
isn't yet implimented, I'm very tempted to have a go at it, but am
reluctant to do so because I'm not sure what the authors a) have in mind
for that dialog, or b) whether the dialog has been implemented on
another platform. Either way, what would be nice would be perhaps some
sort of "mock-up" which I could use as a reference, that way when it's
implemented on different platforms at different times, the end result
would still be essentially the same interface (barring of course the
native look and feel).

Secondly (and perhaps a bit more ambitious), on the GTK implementation,
multiple documents are handled by opening up an entirely new window.
This seems to me to contribute to desktop clutter. Would notebook tabs
be a possible solution to this? There is a precedent set on another
program using a number of the different MDI schemes (electric ears,
which uses the gnome library's MDI scheme...) Has this been discussed in
the past (and if so, am I beatinga dead horse?) Any thoughts on the
subject before I start poking throught AbiWord's guts and writing nasty
spaghetti code would be appreciated. :-)

--
David Schmitz
Baby you and me were never meant to be,