Re: MDI and other thoughts

David Schmitz (david@ecsd.com)
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 03:48:56 -0400

Moses DeJong wrote:

> I second that. There is nothing that chaps my hide more than the way that
> word uses MDI for all the word files. With MDI I can not use keyboard
> shortcuts like ALT-TAB to switch between windows. There is nothing good
> about MDI, please leave it out.
>
> mo dejong
> dejong at cs.umn.edu

Well, the document would still be added to "Windows" menu, accessable by
an "ALT-W, <NUMBER(or whatever)>" combination. I don't see how you could
be saving keystrokes because even with an ALT-TAB you still have to
cycle through the window until you get to whichever one you want, no?

My main philosophy is that if I have to switch to another document, I'm
going to have to also switch mindset from one document to another; and
if I have to do that, I can also take the time to have my hand click on
either the Notebook tab (Note: I have no desire to emulate the yucky
windows MDI) or if I dont' feel like taking my hands from the keyboard I
can also navigate the menus that way. (BTW, it's been a while, but
doesn't Windows allow you to CTRL-TAB through MDI? I know OS/2 did, and
I thought Windows did, too, them being cousins and all; maybe I'm wrong,
though.)

--
David Schmitz
Baby you and me were never meant to be,