Re: MDI and other thoughts

David Schmitz (david@ecsd.com)
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 03:22:46 -0400

"Michael D. Crawford" wrote:

> >David Schmitz wrote:
> >>multiple documents are handled by opening up an entirely new window.
>
> Oh please please please leave it this way.
>
> One of my major gripes with many windows programs is that horrible MDI
> interface.
>
> So often I just want to move a window to the side of the screen and it slides
> under the side of its parent window, thus having its side chopped off.
>
> If you want to spread all your documents out over the screen, you have to
> expand your parent window to cover the whole screen, then you can't see the
> documents for other programs.
>
> NOT using MDI would be a major competitive advantage to many windows programs
> on the PC.
>
> And for sure don't ever do it on any other platform, you'll be burned at the
> stake.
>
> Mike

Actually, I way I forsee it, it'd be not the wretched way that windows
goes about it in the way you described, but via notebook tabs. Perhaps a
preference somewhere which you can choose between the "whole new window,
per document" and "one window one notebook tab per document" way of
going about it. It can be done, the gnome guys have done it, perhaps
this could be achieved as well without having to deal with the gnome
overhead.

I've always hated the Windows MDI. I always ended up maximizing the
child window and used the Windows menuitem to flip between documents.

--
David Schmitz
Baby you and me were never meant to be,