Re: Newbie question.

Eric W. Sink (eric@postman.abisource.com)
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 09:54:49 -0500

> I read in the programmers guidelines that you don't use iostreams at all. I was
> wondering why. what are the problems with them? Is there a pointer to somew more
> info on this.

In part, the answer is that we avoid iostreams just because we don't
like them. :-)

More importantly, the answer is that we have specifically constrained
ourselves to a *very* limited subset of the C++ language and its
libraries. Doing so gets us greater portability, and it helps reduce
the fear and reluctance which is a very real demotivator for C
programmers who want to participate in the project.

--
Eric W. Sink, Software Craftsman
SourceGear Corporation