commit -- system clipboard for unix

Justin Bradford (justin@ukans.edu)
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 05:17:26 -0500 (CDT)

I've replaced the "fake" clipboard on unix a GTK implementation of the
CLIPBOARD selection, which means you can copy and paste between all of
your clipboard-aware X applications and AbiWord. I tested it with Netscape
and a variety of GTK/GNOME text editors.

Abiword can copy and paste formatted text within itself (so you can
move around blocks of the document and preserve the formatting), just as
before, but now, anything which can deal with a text/rtf target can get
formatted text (although, I'm not aware of any application on X which
currently handles formatted text from the clipboard. Well, besides
Abiword, that is ;)

If anyone knows of such an application (Corel, StarOffice, ApplixWare?),
we can try to figure out how it labels its format types and then add them
to Abiword, too. In the meantime, they will just paste unformatted text.

Also, I have not implemented the PRIMARY selection interface (the one
which lets you highlight text and then paste it with the middle button).
It requires messing with lower-level Abiword code (events and such), so I
haven't gotten to it. It can be done without changing the clipboard code I
just wrote (just create a second clipboard, but with this constructor:
'new Clipboard("PRIMARY")' ), although, for efficiency and speed, it might
be better to optimize it (such as not actually storing the clipboard data,
but generating it on demand). Anyway, if no one else does it, I will
eventually.

I'll commit some more Word importer improvements, tomorrow.

Justin