Re: commit -- system clipboard for unix

Shaw Terwilliger (sterwill@sourcegear.com)
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 12:14:33 -0500

Justin Bradford wrote:
> > I've replaced the "fake" clipboard on unix a GTK implementation of the
> > CLIPBOARD selection, which means you can copy and paste between all of
> > your clipboard-aware X applications and AbiWord. I tested it with Netscape
> > and a variety of GTK/GNOME text editors.
>
> I believe you're going to need a recent version of GTK to make this work
> for now. There were some API changes early in 1.2 series, and I took the
> latter approach figuring everyone had the latest version (you all build
> key system libraries every night from CVS, right? ;)

I think most of us have recent copies... we've adopted the
system of using the most recent stable release of GTK for
AbiWord... that would be 1.2.3 right now, I think.

The problem this poses is that we have been building our
packages with requirements of 1.2.1 or 1.2.2, since up until now
our builds have worked with them. If we're using features not
found in older versions we should take a good look at what version
we should be requiring.

This isn't such a problem until you go looking for native
package builds of GTK for older distributions. For example,
we have (at http://www.abisource.com/downloads/libraries)
libpng, zlib, GTK and GLIB builds for Red Hat 5 and 6 Alpha
and Intel, and Debian Slink and Potato Alpha and Intel. It's
hard finding those packages for distributions that weren't around
4 months ago.

--
Shaw Terwilliger