Re: abiword

Shaw Terwilliger (sterwill@sourcegear.com)
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 15:58:57 -0500

Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> Eric,
>
> ews> Sorry, we only do RPMs for the compiled binaries, while source code
> ews> is distributed in a tar.gz. Speaking strictly for myself, it never
> ews> occurred to me that a src RPM would be worth the trouble. Am I
> ews> missing something?
>
> Src RPMs make relocation much easier; this means I can
> have the same package installed on my Sparc machine
> (where I'm a normal user) and on my Linux machine (where
> I can be root). Src RPMs also make recompilation much
> easier; all I need do is 'rpm -ba <specfile>' and wait
> for it to finish.
>
> If you've gone to the trouble of making a binary RPM,
> then the src RPM comes almost for free.
>
> Any chance I could get one? At least, could I please get
> a copy of the RPM spec file?

It's all in the tree, take a look around abi/src/pkg/linux/rpm.
The problem is that the source RPM that we use to generate our
binary RPMs will be on the order of 70 MB or so... it includes
other parts of the CVS tree as support libraries (zlib, libpng,
abidistfiles, etc.) and binary objects from previous binary builds
on the platform the RPM build is hosted on. This is for
performance reasons... when we do releases we let the build
farm take care of making us packages automatically, and we have
one host do (for example) Linux Intel static .tar.gz, dynamic
.tar.gz, .rpm. We don't actually want to have each host do
three full builds of the tree for that...

On our slowest build host, a build of a tree takes 45 minutes.
Each package, to compress the files and lay them into a package,
takes another 10 minutes per package format. This host does
Linux Alpha static .tar.gz, dynamic .tar.gz, .rpm, .slp, .deb.
It would literally take this host 6 hours if it didn't use the
original build to make all its packages. On this host disk
space is much cheaper than CPU time.

If you'd like to dig around in the abi/src/package stuff and
make this better, I welcome the patches. :)

--
Shaw Terwilliger