Re: Spelling Checker

bryan vold (bvold@ingenix.com)
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 15:11:20 -0500

I also wrote a phonetics-based spell checker. Essentially a word is broken
up into "sound pieces" and the pieces are then replaced by the
super-classes of sounds it could represent, and then try all known
(defined) spellings of these sound pieces on these words. I am very
interested in this area and would be interested what approach you took to
creating a suggested word ranking. One has to be a little careful around
this as IBM owns a patent on this technology, which they've tried to make
as all-encompassing as possible. If you are interested, perhaps we could
trade some ideas and/or code. I'm thinking about releasing what I've done
so far to the world under an as-yet-undetermined license. Let me know what
you think.

-Bryan

PS
My checker will correctly return "laugh" as a candidate for laff.