The AbiSource QA mantra

Robert Sievers (bob@abisource.com)
Wed, 02 Jun 1999 11:25:00 -0500

For those of you who know me, I am the QA department for AbiWord. I spend
much of my time beating on AbiWord. I also spend time talking to everyone
about problems they find in order to help nail them down. At some point, I
look forward to getting an automated test suite together, but for now,
"shotgun" testing is revealing plenty of bugs while the product matures.

Today we hit a milestone. There are now 100 known open bugs in AbiWord.
This actually makes me file quite good, but not for the reason you would
expect.

Bugs are in software, whether someone documents them or not. Knowing what
they are and when they happen is the critical first step to release quality
software. Being a QA Nazi and demanding we reach some "quality metric" is
180 degrees from what I stand for. My goal is solely to document AbiWord
behavior.

ESR was quoted as saying that all bugs are shallow when viewed by enough
eyeballs. I hope that many of you will be motivated to browse Bugzilla and
find something that is shallow for you.

I am always here to provide more information and provide test cases. Use
me.

Robert Sievers
Open Source Evangelist