Structured documents etc.

Martin Christensen (factotum@mail1.stofanet.dk)
Wed, 09 Jun 1999 22:52:44 +0200

Howdy!

Please note that I am not on the developers' list, if anyone wants to
respond to me personally.

I'm an old LaTeXie - or rather I will be when I cease to be a new
LaTeXie - and I really like telling my document processer, whatever it
be, WYSIWYG, WYSIWYM or the old hands-on source level editing, what I am
writing, not what it should do with what I am writing. From the screen
shots there seems to be a definite lack of structure elements such as
headings of various degrees, cites etc. I don't know if this is true, as
I've not installed AbiWord, nor do I really need it (though I'm not
saying that you don't make quality software). What I suggest is that you
implement some sort of "style sheet" that will define all the tid-bits
so the user doesn't have to worry about that. Actually I think that it's
very important to place structure as perhaps _the_ central element, as
that allows for easy conversion between formats and, more importantly,
the user can focus on what is really important and leave the word
processor to do the annoying jobst (generating indexes, TOCs,
administrating references etc.).

My approach to this subject is that of a scientist. I like to focus on
what I find important, and that doesn't include document
micromanagement.

Anyway, judging from the things people have been saying about AbiWord
you're doing a good job. Keep it up, fellas! Just keep structured
document writing in mind. Let it at least be an option.

Anyone who has realised the importance of Esperanto
is morally obligated to work for it.
    - Leo Tolstoi