Sugestions

Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com)
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 03:55:34 +0000 ( )

My main gripe about AbiWord in its current state is that the
spell-checking is only while-you-type. It really makes me feel like I'm
using a Microsoft word processor. And it just gets on my nerves - drawing
a red line under incomplete words as I begin to type them.

I understand that this is a development stage, but an options dialog would
be highly appriciated :).

I notice that there is no print preview implemented yet. This could be
done by making a temporary PostScript file and execing gv to display it.
I'm pretty sure that there are equivelents on most other platforms that
you support. It isnt an incredibly pretty solution but it's easy and it
works. The users also have finer control over zoom, orientation, and etc.
becuase they're essensially looking at a PostScript file.

Just keep up the good work, AbiWord has become my primary word processor
and what's implemented so far works pretty well. Just an options dialog
box where I could turn off interactive spell-checking, a spell-checker (in
a DIALOG), a mode where documents are displayed as a white area with page
breaks instead of individual pages on top of a grey background (I think
this is the default in MS Word, at least it was back in Mac version 5),
and implementation of all the unimplemented menu items would give me a
pretty much ideal word processor. Is this what version 1.0 is shooting
for?

I know C++ and am not currently hacking on anything, but I've never taken
a look at your XP framework. If I can figure out the framework and it's
within my realm of comprehension, I'd be glad to work on one of the
unimplemented dialogs, or a non-page-layout mode (see above). Is there any
documentation for the XP framework?